Fire station should open in early 2017, almost a year after completion

2017-01-03 09:00:00

Nerja Town Hall announced last week that the town’s new fire station should be in use in early 2017 following an agreement for the local authority to pay an outstanding debt of 90,000 euros to the builders. The building was completed earlier in 2016, apart from a modification to the original design, which meant an extra 90,000 euros needed to be found on top of the original budget of just over 1.2 million euros.
After months of disagreement between the town hall and Diputación (provincial government) over who was responsible for paying the contractors Sando, it was decided that the money should come entirely from Nerja Town Hall’s coffers.
The original budget was shared between the two entities, with Diputación paying 60 per cent and the town hall putting forward the remaining 40 per cent.
The fire station will serve Frigiliana and Torrox as well as Nerja and is situated by the roundabout at the main exit onto the A7 motorway.
Francisco Delgado Bonilla (PP), the politician responsible for the fire brigade consortium across Malaga province, said that once the payment has been made, the fire station will be ready to use “in the first months of 2017”.
Fire officers will move from their current headquarters, located near Burriana beach, which is destined to be used by Nerja’s civil protection officers.source surinenglish